ICA Annual General Meeting Minutes 2019
2019 ICA Annual General Meeting
Called to order by Douglas R. Stinson at: 11:08
March 6, 2019 50th Anniversary Southeastern International Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory & Computing
Attendance: approximately 40 people
First, A big thank you to everyone involved in organizing the Southeastern Conferences over the years, but especially to Fred Hoffman!
(1) Report from the President (Doug, 20 minutes)
a. ICA Executive and Council (2018–2019)
i. Doug Stinson President 2016-2019
ii. Dalibor Froncek Vice-president 2016-2019
iii. David Pike Vice-president 2016-2019
iv. Kiki Ariyanti Sugeng Vice-president 2017-2020
v. Sarah Holliday Secretary 2016-2019
vi. Spyros Magliveras registrar
vii. Marco Buratti 2016-2019
viii. Darryn Bryant 2016-2019
ix. Gary Chartrand 2016-2019
x. Yeow Meng Chee 2017-2020
xi. Marston Conder 2017-2020
xii. Jeff Dinitz 2018-2021
xiii. Gennian Ge 2017-2019
xiv. James Hammer, III 2017-2020
xv. Fred Hoffman 2016-2019
xvi. Mark Kayll 2017-2020
xvii. Melissa Keranen 2018-2021
xviii. Sandi Klavzar 2017-2020
xix. Bill Kocay 2016-2019
xx. Don Kreher 2018-2021
xxi. Selda Kucukcifci 2017-2020
xxii. Josef Lauri 2017-2020
xxiii. Marius Meszka 2018-2021
xxiv. Ortrud Oellermann 2018-2021
xxv. Alexander Pott 2017-2020
xxvi. Brooks Reid 2016-2019
xxvii. Dinesh Sarvate 2018-2021
xxviii. Ingo Schiermeyer 2018-2021
xxix. Tran van Trung 2018-2021
xxx. Ian Wanless 2018-2021
b. ICA Office
i. The ICA Office is located at Boca Raton (Florida Atlantic University) and it is being run by Spyros Magliveras, the ICA Registrar.
ii. Cristina Castaneda is the ICA Assistant; she was hired last year to assist Spyros
c. Dues schedule
i. Invoicing of members’ dues from the new office started in November 2016.
ii. Dues payments can be made on a web page using a credit card: https://fauf.fau.edu/icamemberships
iii. Tax-deductable donations can be made to the ICA on the following web page: https://fauf.fau.edu/ica
iv. For information about memberships, please send email to ICAoffice@fau.edu
v. Dues Schedule
1. FTICA (fellow)
a. one year : $85
b. two years: $155 (approximately a 10% discount)
c. three years: $205 (approximately a 20% discount)
d. lifetime: $1000 AFTICA
2. (Associate Fellow) • one year: $65 MTICA
3. (Companion, Graduate, Student) • one year: $45
4. Retired Persons
a. one year: $42.50 (this is a 50% discount)
b. lifetime: $500 (for people who have been members for at least 10 years)
5. Institutional Members: $250 per year
6. Corporate Members: $500 per year
7. Senior Corporate Members: $1000 per year
8. Sponsoring Corporate Members: $2500 per year
9. New Member Initiatives (approved at the last annual meeting)
a. any student who finishes a PhD in Combinatorics is eligible to receive a one-year free membership in the ICA
b. a new ICA member who registers for two years will receive the first year of membership free
d. ICA medals and honorary fellows
i. No ICA medals were awarded between 2009 and 2015.
ii. In 2016, a Medals Committee was formed.
iii. A new Stanton medal, to honour significant lifetime contributions to promoting the discipline of combinatorics through advocacy, outreach, service, teaching and/or mentoring, was approved by Council in 2016.
iv. An accelerated schedule was implemented starting in 2016 to award medals for the period 2009–2015.
v. Starting in 2017, awarding of medals resumed a normal schedule.
vi. Medal winners are recommended by the Medals Committee and approved by Council.
vii. The Medals Committee also recommends honorary follows.
viii. ICA Medals Committee Members (who have awarded 35 medals, thanks to them)
1. Christine O’Keefe 2016-2018
2. Charlie Colbourn 2016-2019
3. Jonathan Jedwab 2016-2020
4. Mateja Sajna ˇ 2018-2021
5. Gennian Ge 2019-2022
6. Charlie Colbourn served as chair from 2016–2019, and Jonathan Jedwab will be chair from 2019–2020.
a. Doug thanks Charlie for his service
7. Euler Medal Winners 2010–2018 year winner(s)
a. 2018 Dieter Jungnickel
b. 2017 Fan Chung
c. 2016 James Hirschfeld
d. 2015 no medals awarded
e. 2014 Brian Alspach
f. 2013 Curt Lindner
g. 2012 Alex Rosa
h. 2011 Cheryl Praeger
i. 2010 Bojan Mohar
8. Hall Medal Winners 2010–2018 year winner(s)
a. 2018 Kai-Uwe Schmidt
b. 2017 John Bamberg
c. 2017 Daniel Horsley
d. 2016 no medals awarded
e. 2015 Lijun Ji
f. 2014 Peter Dukes
g. 2013 Bart De Bruyn
h. 2012 Michael Giudici
i. 2011 Olga Polverino
j. 2010 Catherine Greenhill
9. Kirkman Medal Winners 2010–2018 year winner(s)
a. 2018 Alexander Bors
b. 2018 Shuxing Li
c. 2017 Hengjia Wei
d. 2017 Binzhou Xia
e. 2016 Yue Zhou
f. 2015 Padraig O Cath´ain ´
g. 2014 Daniele Bartoli
h. 2013 Tommaso Traetta
i. 2012 Rebecca Stones
j. 2012 Xiande Zhang
k. 2011 Tao Feng
l. 2010 Daniel Horsley
m. 2010 Kai-Uwe Schmidt
10.Stanton Medal Winners 2016–2018 year winner(s)
a. 2018 no medal awarded
b. 2017 Robin Wilson
c. 2016 Ron Mullin Stanton Medal
a. “The Council may elect to Honorary Fellowship any person who has made pre-eminent contributions to combinatorics or its applications. The number of living Honorary Fellows shall not exceed ten.”
b. As of December 31, 2017, there were five living honorary fellows: S.S. Shrikhande, C.R. Rao, G.J. Simmons, Vera Sos, Henry Gould.
c. The ICA put out a call for new honorary fellows in 2017 and again in 2018.
d. Neil Robertson was approved by Council as a new honorary fellow in 2017.
e. New Honorary Fellow - Carsten Thomassen has just been approved by Council as a new honorary fellow in 2018.
e. Conference support
i. The ICA is expanding its support of conferences in combinatorics and related areas.
ii. Conferences supported in 2018:
1. 49th Southeastern International Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory & Computing
2. Conference on Combinatorics and its Applications In Celebration of Charlie Colbourn’s 65th Birthday
3. MCCCC 32 — Midwest Conference on Combinatorics and Combinatorial Computing
iii. Conferences supported in 2019:
1. 50th Anniversary Southeastern International Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory & Computing
2. CanaDAM 2019
3. 14th International Conference on Finite Fields and their Applications
4. 27th British Combinatorial Conference
5. 42nd Australasian Conference on Combinatorial Mathematics and Combinatorial Computing
f. Bulletin of the ICA
i. Three new EICs were chosen in October 2016, namely Marco Buratti, Don Kreher and Tran van Trung.
ii. The first issue of the Bulletin produced under the direction of the new EICs is the January 2017 issue, which is Volume 79.
iii. The most recent issue is the February 2019 issue, which is Volume 85.
iv. Printing and mailing is now done from Czechia. Production is handled by Don Kreher. Dalibor takes care of the printing and mailing.
v. Online Publication of the Bulletin
1. Starting from Volume 79 (January 2017), we have published the Bulletin online as a .pdf file, on a password-protected web page available to ICA members.
2. We continue to also mail printed copies to members and subscription holders.
3. Refereed research articles (from Volume 79 on) are now published on the ICA web pages, i.e., “diamond” open access.
4. New: Tables of contents (from Volume 79 on) are now available on the ICA web pages.
g. ICA Web Pages
i. Luca Giuzzi was approved as webmaster for the ICA in 2017. • Official ICA web pages: http://the-ica.org
ii. Luca redesigned and maintains the ICA web pages.
iii. The web pages contain the ICA logo (next slide).
iv. If you have not done so, check them out! They contain a lot of useful information and look very nice.
h. ICA logos
i. On wiki, the-ica.org, and the blog
i. Ongoing and future initiatives
i. Coffee mugs! $6 available at the conference.
ii. ICA Brochure
iii. BICA articles—more submissions would be desirable!
iv. Online access to BICA
v. Indexing BICA
vi. Press release of medal winners
vii. Citations of medal winners on ICA website
viii. How You Can Support the ICA
1. Buy a coffee mug, or 50 coffee mugs.
2. Persuade your friends and students to join the ICA.
3. Persuade your library to subscribe to BICA.
4. Make a donation to the ICA (see the ICA web pages).
5. Find a rich benefactor who will support the ICA as a corporate member.
(2) Financial and Membership Reports (Spyros, 10 minutes)
a. Operations are at FAU since Nov. 1 2016.
i. We have hired Cristina Castenada
ii. Issued 459 invoices in this time.
iii. We will have to cut hours, in spite of best efforts to automate.
b. Financial summary Feb 28, 2018 – Feb 28, 2019
i. Balance on Feb 28, 2018 $ 21,161.83
1. Total proceeds in above period $ 23,912.50
2. Total funds for the period $ 45,074.33
3. Total expenses during period $ 27,347.23
ii. Balance in US funds as of Feb 28, 2019 $ 17,727.10
iii. Note Expenses exceed Proceeds.
iv. Summary of expenses
1. Support for 3 Combin. Confs. $ 3,000.00
2. BICA vols 81, 82, 83 $ 10,185.52
3. Admin. & credit card fees $ 2,357.74
4. ICA office secretary $ 11,634.82
5. Incidentals $ 169.15
6. Total expenses $ 27,347.23
c. Member category distributions
iv. Lifetime members
v. Honorary members
vi. New members (since 2017)
vii. Retired members
viii. “never paid” persons
ix. Members in arrears
(3) Election of New Council Members and Executive (Sarah, 5 minutes)
a. Council members
i. Approved by show of hands. Motion: Brooks Reid, Bert Hartnell.
i. Approved by show of hands. Motion: Ebrahim Salehi, Second: Neil Carnes
(4) Approval of Medal Eligibility Changes (Sarah, 5 minutes)
a. Motion 1 (Hall eligibility by year not by age)
i. Approved by show of hands. Motion: Ron Mullin, Second: Mark Ellingham
b. Motion 2 (Euler eligibility by career not necessarily ending)
i. Approved by show of hands. Motion: Charlie Colborne, Second: James Hammer
(5) Questions and Discussion (Dalibor, 10 minutes)
a. Why can’t Iranian mathematicians use credit cards?
i. Geopolitical messes
ii. Can’t we accept euros instead of dollars?
iii. Yes, but doesn’t fix the problem
b. Historical archives?
i. Yes. We should do that, and start picking at it.
c. Membership list made public?
i. Privacy concerns are a real issue. We are considering a password protection list.
The ICA Executive: Dalibor, Sarah, David and Kiki
The ICA Registrar: Spyros and his assistant, Cristina
The ICA Webmaster: Luca
The EICs of the Bulletin: Marco Buratti, Don Kreher, Tran van Trung
Medals and Membership Committee members (especially Charlie Colbourn for chairing this committee for the past three years) See you next year!
Post a Comment